Saturday, November 17, 2012

Proud Morochuco Descendant of Spanish Conquistadors


Peru. Pampa de Cangallo near Ayacucho.
When I asked that young girl standing at the door of her stone house to let me take her picture, she turned to her father and said : « The way I’m dressed for work will make me look like a Chola (poor Indian).“ But she graciously agreed. She was no Chola but a proud Morochuco, whose tribe claims, and her blond braids and light eyes may confirm, to descend from Spanish conquistadors.

Learn photography joining Victor on a trip

Pérou. Pampa de Cangallo près d’Ayacucho.
Quand j’ai demandé à cette jeune fille, à la porte de sa maison de pierres, de me laisser la photographier, elle s’est tournée vers son père et, en riant, lui a dit : « Vêtue comme je le suis pour le travail, on me prendra pour une Chola (pauvre Indienne)». Mais elle accepta gracieusement. Elle n’était pas Chola  mais une fière Morochuco. Sa tribu se flatte de descendre des conquistadors espagnols, que ses tresses blondes et ses yeux clairs paraissent confirmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment